11 September 2012

Garden Ramblin's

I had a conversation with someone I know the other day about gardens and how, in the perennial gardens at least, almost all, if not all, of the perennials are done flowering for yet another season.  
I'm fortunate to still be enjoying an abundance of flowers in the annual cutting gardens but I too was certain that the show of my perennial gardens was now one of texture and foliage.
But, while working in the perennial gardens today I surprisingly realized that there was still indeed a lovely, although small, show of flowers.

The lavender tone of Agastache.  The bees absolutely adore this plant but clearly it's a lovely perennial with long lasting bloom.
Then there's this beauty.  Purple Oregano, mmhmm, a perennial.  Planted many years ago primarily because it's flowers dry nicely.  
I will begin harvesting within the next few days as it makes its way into herbal wreaths along with purple sage, salvia clarysa, parsley and gomphrena,  to name a few.
The stunning brushes of Cimicifuga Racemosa.  In the real world (my lack of photography skills showing here) a stunning blend of white/pink atop a dark purple/black stem.  Stunning.   
The annual gardens continue to produce lovely combinations like this Ageratum and Frosted Explosion, an annual grass I just can't live without.  

It's a very interesting and busy time in the gardens.  I hold on to the hope that frost will cease to call on us here for a few more weeks, allowing me to continue planting some perennials in the 'holding tank',
others into permanent new homes within the perennial gardens, to harvest flowers for fresh cut market bunches and to continue with the harvesting of others being hung in lovely bunches to dry. 

The birds are busy in the early autumn garden.  The heads of the millet, full of ripened seed, hang less each day as the weight of the seed within provides fresh, locally grown feed!
The sunflowers, heads full of ripening seed, the grasses of Setaria and Frosted Explosion left too long for fresh or dried harvest provides an abundance of food for our feathered friends.  Yay! 
Some years I attempt to cover the millet for drying and use in our fall bunches and wreaths, but the foliage of this lovely annual, if left chilled but unfrosted, turns a stunning tone of purple.  This year, that is my hope. 

What's happening in your garden.  Take a closer look, you may find yourself pleasantly surprised.





No comments:

Post a Comment